Elegant enough for special guests, simple enough for a family supper; light enough for the calorie-conscious dieter.
- 1⁄2 head iceberg lettuce, bite-size pieces
- 1 head romaine lettuce, bite-size pieces
- 3 -4 slices thick-sliced bacon, crumbled
- 8 -12 radishes, thinly sliced (or use fresh carrots)
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 dash sea salt
- 1⁄2 loaf French bread, sliced and cubed (toasted)
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- garlic salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 chicken breast halves, cubed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion, sliced in rings
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- Prepare and toss lettuces in large serving bowl; set aside.
- Fry bacon; set aside to cool; then crumble.
- Slice radishes very thin, marinate with vinegar and sea salt; stir and set aside.
- While bacon is frying, slice and cube bread, then toast until golden brown; drizzle with melted butter; sprinkle with garlic salt; set aside.
- When bacon is done, pour off grease, add olive oil and sauté chicken breast cubes; stirring frequently. When browned, remove from pan and set aside to cool.
- Add butter to pan, when melted add onion rings and brown until ALMOST crispy.
- While onions are working, mix mayo and barbecue sauce in a small bowl. Pour over chicken cubes, mixing well.
- Add bacon, radishes, bread cubes, chicken, onions and pine nuts to lettuce in large bowl; toss well.
- Serve with home-made berry compote and fudgy brownies!
- Option #1: Try carrots or do half-n-half radishes & carrots for lovely color.
- Option #2: Use a different "sauce" to marinate the radishes (soy, red wine or balsamic vinegars, etc.).
- Option #3: Let each diner add each ingredient at the table.
- Option #4: Include spinach or fresh Swiss chard with the greens.