2 hrs 30 mins
Everything can be prepared the night before, grilling the chicken and adding to the chili before serving. In fact it's better that way. It presents well when served in a bread bowl.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cumin powder (or chili powder)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 large onion, coarse chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil, of your choice
- 2 (15 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed well drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can dark red kidney beans, rinsed drained
- 3/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 large red pepper, cut into large chunks
- 1 medium green peppers or 1 medium yellow pepper, chunked
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- cilantro leaf
- 1Fry first 7 ingredients in the 2 tbsp. oil 'til onions are transparent.
- 2Add next 6 ingredients, simmer 45 mins., meanwhile prepare chicken:
- 3Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- 4In a bowl, cover breast chunks with olive oil, add salt, cilantro and set aside.(I do this the night before and let it marinade overnight in a baggie)
- 5Add more water to the chili (or other liquid: broth, black coffee) if necessary.
- 6Add the pepper chunks, simmer for 1/2 hr.
- 7Meanwhile, remove chicken from marinade (discard leftover marinade) and grill 4-5 mins.
- 8I use a George Forman grill, or broil.
- 9When the chili is ready, gently stir-in the grilled chicken. Don't cook, just heat low for 20 minutes.
- 10Adjust seasoning. Optional: 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper can be added.
- 11Serve over rice or in a bread bowl.
- 12Toppings: sour cream, grated jalapeno-jack cheese.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Chicken/Chocolate Chili
Serving Size: 1 (509 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 375.1
- Calories from Fat 67
- Total Fat 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 45.6 mg
- Sodium 1518.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.2 g
- Sugars 11.3 g
- Protein 32.4 g