Recipe by Manami
Wonderful for last minute company and easy to make, as well! Can be made in less than an hour. You can use store bought rotisserie or baked chicken, I used chicken breasts but you can use other parts, then put together and voila! Recipe created by Chef John Caputo, Bin 36, Chicago, on behalf of 3-A-Day of Dairy.
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups nonfat milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 tablespoons sliced green onions
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1⁄4 lb sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, grilled & sliced
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray a 13"x9" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray; set aside.
- Cook and drain pasta according to package directions; keep hot.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in flour and cook 2 minutes, stirring frquently, to get rid of lumps and flour taste.
- Whisk in milk, mustard, hot sauce (if using), Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring constantly, about 10 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Stir in onion, carrot, mushrooms and Cheddar until cheese is melted.
- Remove sauce from heat.
- Mix pasta into sauce and pour into prepared pan.
- Arrange sliced grilled chicken over pasta.
- Mix breadcrumbs and parsley together and sprinkle over pasta.
- Bake about 25 minutes or until pasta is heated through and edges are bubbling.