Recipe by kiwidutch
What a fun way to have 2 of the best things around, chicken and Caesar salad, all on a stick!! COOKS NOTES: Cooking time includes 1 hour to marinate. Please note: this is an adopted recipe and I hope to make it soonest. If you make it before I do, I would appreciate feedback, Thanks ! ZWT REGION: United States of America.
Top Review by PSU Lioness
This was a good summer dinner that our family enjoyed. I marinated the chicken for close to 3 hours in a light Caesar dressing from Aldi's and the flavor of the soaked in nicely. I was worried about the bread cubes getting soggy and soaking up the chicken juices, so I skewered the meat and bread on separate skewers and they turned out great. After reading the previous review, I also decided to baste the chicken with dressing while it was cooking. I did not have garlic olive oil, either, so I too used olive oil and garlic powder for the bread. The bread got crispy and the chicken was fabulous! From start to finish (after marinating), this took about 20 minutes. The whole family agreed that we will be making this again before summer is over. Thank you for posting! (Made for Bargain Basement tag)
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 3/4- to 1-inch cubes
- 1 1⁄4 cups caesar salad dressing, store-bought or homemade to taste, divided use
- 4 ounces country bread, cut into 1- to 1 1/4-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons garlic-flavored olive oil or 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 cups romaine lettuce, ribbons (1-2 heads) or 8 cups a similar quantity of crisp whole small inner romaine leaves (1-2 heads)
- freshly cracked pepper
- curls parmesan cheese (made by scraping a vegetable peeler over a chunk of cheese)
- 4 metal skewers, preferably 8 to 10 inches long
Directions See How It's Made
- At least 1 hour ahead, or up to several hours before you plan to grill chicken, place chicken in a zippered plastic bag. Pour enough dressing over chicken to cover it, about 3/4 cup. Seal bag, toss back and forth to coat the chicken, and refrigerate.
- When ready to grill, drain chicken, discard dressing in bag, and let chicken sit uncovered at room temperature about 20 minutes.
- Fire up the grill, bringing heat to medium. Brush bread cubes with garlic oil and skewer them more or less intermittently with chicken cubes.
- Arrange skewers on grill and grill uncovered 7 to 9 minutes, turning to cook on all sides, until chicken is firm and white throughout but still juicy. The bread will get toasty brown.
- Toss the romaine with enough dressing to moisten it thoroughly, then divide it among 4 plates.
- Place a chicken Caesar skewer on each plate, sprinkle with pepper to taste and Parmesan curls, and serve immediately.