"If more people knew how to properly grill poultry burgers (too often, they are dry and unappetizing). I am convinced that lean, white-meat burgers would overtake beef burgers in popularity." This is what Chef Art Smith said on a show on Oprah, from the show Fourth Of July Cooking with Art Smith. His are made with the addition of lots of cooked vegetables to add flavor and moisture, while some breadcrumbs help keep the juices in. Make sure to cook over medium heat or they will dry out!! Have not allowed for cooling times - as they may differ.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- nonstick cooking oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 small red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 4 ounces white mushrooms, thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and coarsely shredded
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 4 ripe roma tomatoes or 4 plum tomatoes, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup seasoned dried breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs ground chicken or 1 1/2 lbs ground turkey
- 6 soft hamburger buns or 6 ciabatta rolls, for serving
- 1Spray a large nonstick skillet with oil and heat over medium-high heat.
- 2Add the onion, red pepper and mushrooms and cover.
- 3Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables soften, about 3 minutes.
- 4Add the carrot and garlic and stir, uncovered, for 1 minute.
- 5Add the tomatoes and cook just until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- 6Transfer to a large bowl and cool completely.
- 7Add the breadcrumbs, cheese, egg, salt and pepper and mix well.
- 8Add the ground chicken and mix just until combined.
- 9Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 4 hours.
- 10Meanwhile, build a charcoal fire in an outdoor grill and let the coals burn down until medium-hot (you should be able to hold your hand just above the cooking grid for 3 seconds).
- 11Or, preheat a gas grill on High, then turn to medium.
- 12Shape the chicken mixture into six 4-inch-wide patties.
- 13Lightly oil the grill.
- 14Grill the burgers, turning once, just until they feel firm when pressed in the centers (the meat should bounce back), about 12 minutes.
- 15Serve hot, on the buns.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Chicken Burgers
Serving Size: 1 (260 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 315.3
- Calories from Fat 63
- Total Fat 7.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 116.1 mg
- Sodium 761.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 31.9 g