4 hrs 45 mins
From The New Portuguese Table by David Leite. Serve over cooked rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Chicken
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 inches piece ginger, peeled
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
For the Coconut Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 small yellow onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 inch piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons double concentrate tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 13 1/2 ounces coconut milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1To make the chicken, buzz the onion, garlic, ginger, coconut milk, lemon juice, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes in a food processor until smooth. Drop the chicken pieces into a ziploc bag and pour in the marinade. Place the bag in a shallow dish and marinate in the fridge for at least 4 hours, but overnight is better, turning several times.
- 2To make the sauce, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until golden brown, about 7 minutes. Reduce the heat to low, add the lemon zest, ginger, red pepper flakes, and tomato paste, and cook, stirring often, until the colors deepen and the mixture is very fragrant, 8 to 10 minutes. Toss in garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- 3Pour in the coconut milk and cream and bring to a boil, e turn heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until the liquid has reduced by one quarter, about 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and keep warm.
- 4Meanwhile heat a grill to high. Remove the chicken from the fridge and let sit out for 30 minutes.
- 5Lower the heat of the grill to medium and brush the grate with oil. Remove chicken from marinade and grill until well marked and cooked through, about 5 to six minutes per side.
- 6To serve, slice each chicken breast into 3 pieces on the bias. Place cooked rice onto plates, top with chicken slices, and spoon sauce over top.
You Might Also Like...
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Chicken Breasts With Spicy Coconut Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (353 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 942.6
- Calories from Fat 443
- Total Fat 49.3 g
- Saturated Fat 35.3 g
- Cholesterol 116.2 mg
- Sodium 1324.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 99.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 91.5 g
- Protein 28.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: