4 hrs 45 mins
From The New Portuguese Table by David Leite. Serve over cooked rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Chicken
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 inches piece ginger, peeled
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
For the Coconut Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 small yellow onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 inch piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons double concentrate tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 13 1/2 ounces coconut milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1To make the chicken, buzz the onion, garlic, ginger, coconut milk, lemon juice, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes in a food processor until smooth. Drop the chicken pieces into a ziploc bag and pour in the marinade. Place the bag in a shallow dish and marinate in the fridge for at least 4 hours, but overnight is better, turning several times.
- 2To make the sauce, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until golden brown, about 7 minutes. Reduce the heat to low, add the lemon zest, ginger, red pepper flakes, and tomato paste, and cook, stirring often, until the colors deepen and the mixture is very fragrant, 8 to 10 minutes. Toss in garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- 3Pour in the coconut milk and cream and bring to a boil, e turn heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until the liquid has reduced by one quarter, about 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and keep warm.
- 4Meanwhile heat a grill to high. Remove the chicken from the fridge and let sit out for 30 minutes.
- 5Lower the heat of the grill to medium and brush the grate with oil. Remove chicken from marinade and grill until well marked and cooked through, about 5 to six minutes per side.
- 6To serve, slice each chicken breast into 3 pieces on the bias. Place cooked rice onto plates, top with chicken slices, and spoon sauce over top.
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Chicken Breasts With Spicy Coconut Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (353 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 942.6
- Calories from Fat 443
- Total Fat 49.3 g
- Saturated Fat 35.3 g
- Cholesterol 116.2 mg
- Sodium 1324.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 99.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 91.5 g
- Protein 28.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: