Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I love it when the weather warms up and it is time to grill. We have a lot of favorites and this one tops the list in early spring. Just the right time for great asparagus!
- 1 1⁄2 cups orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 -8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 lbs asparagus, tough ends snapped off
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- Heat the grill to medium high heat.
- Combine orange juice, ginger, coriander and cayenne in a medium sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Simmer until the mixture has reduced to 1/2 cup about 6-8 minutes.
- Transfer the glaze to a bowl and stir in brown sugar.
- Toss asparagus with vegetable oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Grill, turning once until tender and streaked with grill marks 4-5 minutes.
- Transfer to serving platter and tent with foil.
- Brush chicken with half the glaze and season with salt to taste.
- Grill smooth side down about 4-5 minutes.
- Brush with remaining glaze and turn.
- Continue to cook until the chicken is done 4-6 minutes (160°F at center).
- Serve with asparagus.
My family really loved this recipe! I used about 1/3 of the recipe for the glaze to marinate my chicken breasts in overnight. The next day, I reduced the remaining 2/3's as a glaze, and made the recipe as written. Very light, and refreshing way to do both chicken, and asparagus!!Perfect for a hot New Mexico summer night!! Thanks Ash!!
I had some trouble with getting this glaze to reduce-I let it simmer for about 20 minutes and it still hadn't reduce. I omitted the cayenne because of personal taste. The chicken itself, didn't really retain much of the orange flavour at all. I don't think I would make this again, the flavour just didn't come through the way I hoped it would.
With Ashk's permission, I am only reviewing the chicken with glaze. The chicken had a great flavor, very light and refreshing. I'm sure asparagus would be a great accompanyment to this. DH and DD loved the light flavor that was not overly sweet.