Recipe by Tish
No need to roast a chicken right now when you can barbecue it. Marinades make it easy to vary the flavor and style of what you're cooking. To keep it easy, try this great, healthy recipe for dinner this summer:
- 6 skinless chicken breast halves, boned
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 dash salt
- 3 ounces arugula leaves or 3 ounces spinach (if arugula is unavailable)
- 3 red ripe tomatoes, for slicing
- 12 slices multi-grain bread
Directions See How It's Made
- For the Chicken: Rub the chicken breasts with 3 tablespoons of the olive oil, the black pepper, and thyme leaves.
- Cover and refrigerate a minimum of 6 hours, preferably overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 1 hour before cooking.
- For the Peppers: Preheat oven to 500 degrees and place 2 red bell peppers on the rack and roast.
- Turn the peppers occasionally until the skins are completely charred (20 to 30 minutes).
- Place the peppers in a paper bag and seal the top.
- This allows them to steam and aids in peeling.
- Remove the peppers from the bag and remove the skins with your fingers.
- Sometimes a little cold running water helps.
- Remove the cores and seeds and slice into 1/4-inch strips.
- Toss the peppers with 2 tablespoons olive oil and store in a glass container until ready to use.
- For the Sauce: Mix mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, red wine vinegar, and dash of salt together well and refrigerate in a glass container.
- Assembling the Sandwiches: The chicken, peppers, and mustard sauce can be prepared to this point a day in advance.
- When you are ready to serve the sandwiches, prepare a charcoal fire or preheat the broiler for the chicken and bread.
- Grill or broil the breasts 6 to 10 minutes per side, depending on the heat of your fire.
- As they are cooking, brush a little butter or olive oil on one side of 12 slices of the bread.
- When the breasts are cooked, transfer to a platter and allow to cool slightly, at which time you will need to either grill or broil the bread until slightly toasted.
- Spread a liberal amount of the mustard sauce on the oiled or buttered side of the bread slices so that the dry sides will be on the outside of the sandwich.
- Slice the breasts on a diagonal and place each sliced breast on a slice of toasted bread.
- Top with some of the roasted pepper strips, 2 slices of tomato, some of the arugula, and the top piece of bread.
- Cut and serve as you would with any sandwich.
- Serve immediately or until ready to use.