Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
Chicken with BBQ spice, BBQ sauce and smoked Gouda cheese rests on a bed of red onion cilantro coleslaw. Recipe adapted from Pilgrim's Chefs. Note: BBQ spice mixes may be purchased or homemade, see Turtle Creek Mansion Barbecue Spice Mix or recipe #904032.
- 4 boneless skinnless chicken breast halves (seasoned with BBQ spice purchased or homemade )
- 6 tablespoons sweet baby ray's barbecue sauce
- 4 smoked gouda cheese, sliced (about 3/4 oz ea)
- 12 ounces red onions, scented cilantro slaw (recipe below)
Red Onion Scented Cilantro Slaw
- 12 ounces shredded cabbage
- 2 tablespoons red onions, minced
- 3 tablespoons green peppers, small dice
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup sugar, granulated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄4 cup plus 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Brush each chicken breast with oil (both sides) then season with BBQ spice (BBQ Spice is in the spice section of the grocery store or may be homemade).
- Over a pre-heated, cleaned and oiled grill, cook the chicken breasts to a golden brown on one side then turn over and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Brush the cooked side with the BBQ Sauce and cook for 2 minutes then brush again with BBQ Sauce and place a slice of cheese on each sauced chicken breast.
- Grill the chicken breast until the internal temperature reaches 165° F and the cheese is melted.
- To Make Red Onion Scented Cilantro Slaw: In a stainless or glass bowl combine all the vegetables and toss to blend well.
- Combine and blend the ingredients except for the oil for the dressing in a separate bowl and allow marinating for 15 minutes then whisk in the oil.
- Combine the dressing and vegetables and toss to blend well. Adjust the salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate until needed.