Recipe by Deantini
Wonderful salad/main dish that we often go for on a hot summer evening. Serve with crusty bread and a glass of wine :) The olive oil accounts for 20% of calories in this recipe - for a lighter version you can substitute some of the olive oil with lemon juice. UPDATE June 28 - I agree with both reviewers - the recipe is better with less oil. I am reducing the oil and increasing the lemon in the recipe - so pleae note that the new version reflects this change
Top Review by IngridH
Yum! We really enjoyed this salad for dinner tonight. I loved the tangy flavor that the mustard gives the dressing, while the lemon really makes the flavor bright. I wished I had longer to marinate the chicken, but even with just half an hour, it had a wonderful flavor. I left out the tomatoes, since they are out of season, but will try it with tomatoes next summer. We thought this would also be excellent with asparagus instead of (or in addition to) the beans. Thanks for posting a wonderful dish!
- 400 g chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 2⁄3 cup pearl barley
- 1 1⁄2 cups green beans, chopped, trimmed
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons basil, fresh, chopped
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- VINAIGRETTE: Whisk oil, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, seasonings, salt and pepper.
- CHICKEN: Marinate chicken using 2 TBSP (not all) of vinaigrette. Coat for 10 min and up to 8 hours if you want to prepare ahead. Grill chicken until done and cut into bite size pieces.
- SALAD: Cook barley in boiling water for 10 min; add green beans and cook until tender crisp and barley is tender for approx 10 minute (barley should cook 20 min total).
- Drain and toss with remaining vinaigrette.
- Add chicken cubes, tomatoes, onion and fresh basil. Toss to combine.