1/2 Photos of Grilled Chicken Banh Mi
1 hr 15 mins
The marinated meats and the pickled veggies are the standout items on this sandwich. In my version, the chicken is soaked in a fish sauce and lime juice marinade. I have a love-hate relationship with fish sauce. I LOVE the distinct flavor that greatly enhances meat, but HATE the putrid odor that seems to linger for hours. DON'T BE TEMPTED TO SKIP THE FISH SAUCE! It is a vital part of Vietnamese cooking. My suggestion with fish sauce is, hold your nose and pour away! The heinous odor will diminish once cooked!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup fish sauce
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 -4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 chopped jalapeno
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (3-4 breasts)
- 1/2 cup hot tap water
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 carrots, sliced thin on the bias
- 2 daikon radishes, sliced thin on the bias
- 6 soft sub rolls
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 a cucumber, sliced thin
- 1 cup cilantro leaf (or mint)
- 1 sliced jalapeno, for extra heat (optional)
- 1Mix the first six ingredients in a baking dish. Add the chicken breasts to the dish, cover, and refrigerate at least 1 hour. Longer is better!
- 2Stir the hot tap water and sugar in a medium bowl, until the sugar dissolves. Add the vinegar, salt, red pepper, sliced carrots and radishes. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- 3Heat the grill to medium. Grill the chicken breasts for 5 minutes per side. Remove from heat and cover them with foil to rest for 5 minutes.
- 4Open the sub rolls and grill the insides for about 1-3 minute—until toasted.
- 5Drain the pickled veggies. Slice the chicken into thin pieces.
- 6Spread mayo over in the sub rolls. Layer the cucumbers, chicken, pickled veggies, cilantro leaves and jalapeños in the rolls.
- 7Serve immediately!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Chicken Banh Mi
Serving Size: 1 (446 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 482.0
- Calories from Fat 86
- Total Fat 9.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 63.9 mg
- Sodium 3217.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 24.3 g
- Protein 30.1 g