1/1 Photo of Grilled Chicken and Veggie Kabobs Atop Sage Rice
1 hr 30 mins
When it is to hot and you don't want to cook inside try exiting outside to the grill. A wonderful blending of seasame and sage make this is a nice flavorful dish and perfect for those hot summer days.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons finely snipped fresh sage
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1 cup long grain brown rice
- 2 3/4 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoons finely snipped fresh sage
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 medium yellow squash, cut in half and then in 3/4 inch chunks
- 1 medium zucchini, cut in half and then in 3/4 inch chunks
- 1/2 vidalia onion, cut vertically and then into thirds
- 8 -10 mushrooms, cut in half
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, cut in 1-inch chunks
- 1In blender jar, combine all ingredients for the marinade except for sesame seeds.
- 2Blend completely, stir in sesame seeds.
- 3Reserve 1 cup of marinade and pour remainder over the chicken, cover and refrigerate 8 to 24 hours.
- 4About 1 hour before cooking, place cut vegetables in a glass bowl and pour ½ cup of the reserved marinade over them.
- 5Allow vegetables to stand at room temperature for approximately 45 minutes.
- 6While vegetables marinade, bring the chicken stock for the rice to a boil along with 1 Tbsp of the sage.
- 7When stock boils add the brown rice, stir, cover and cook for 45 to 50 minutes.
- 8Warm sesame oil in small skillet, add sesame seeds and toast until lightly browned and fragrant; set aside.
- 9Thread the chicken and vegetables onto 4 skewers alternating the chicken and vegetables.
- 10Grill kabobs 20 to 25 minutes over medium heat or until chicken is thoroughly cooked and vegetables are crisp tender.
- 11Baste frequently with remaining marinade.
- 12When rice has finished cooking, stir in remaining 2 Tbsp of sage and toasted sesame seeds.
- 13Serve the chicken kabobs over the rice.
- 14The cook time does not include the marinade time for the meat.
Browse Our Top Brown Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Chicken and Veggie Kabobs Atop Sage Rice
Serving Size: 1 (654 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 679.3
- Calories from Fat 230
- Total Fat 25.6 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 61.5 mg
- Sodium 2686.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 78.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.4 g
- Sugars 28.3 g
- Protein 35.8 g