When it is to hot and you don't want to cook inside try exiting outside to the grill. A wonderful blending of seasame and sage make this is a nice flavorful dish and perfect for those hot summer days.
- 1 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon liquid hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons finely snipped fresh sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1 cup long grain brown rice
- 2 3⁄4 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoons finely snipped fresh sage
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 medium yellow squash, cut in half and then in 3/4 inch chunks
- 1 medium zucchini, cut in half and then in 3/4 inch chunks
- 1⁄2 vidalia onion, cut vertically and then into thirds
- 8 -10 mushrooms, cut in half
- 1⁄2 medium red bell pepper, cut in 1-inch chunks
- In blender jar, combine all ingredients for the marinade except for sesame seeds.
- Blend completely, stir in sesame seeds.
- Reserve 1 cup of marinade and pour remainder over the chicken, cover and refrigerate 8 to 24 hours.
- About 1 hour before cooking, place cut vegetables in a glass bowl and pour ½ cup of the reserved marinade over them.
- Allow vegetables to stand at room temperature for approximately 45 minutes.
- While vegetables marinade, bring the chicken stock for the rice to a boil along with 1 Tbsp of the sage.
- When stock boils add the brown rice, stir, cover and cook for 45 to 50 minutes.
- Warm sesame oil in small skillet, add sesame seeds and toast until lightly browned and fragrant; set aside.
- Thread the chicken and vegetables onto 4 skewers alternating the chicken and vegetables.
- Grill kabobs 20 to 25 minutes over medium heat or until chicken is thoroughly cooked and vegetables are crisp tender.
- Baste frequently with remaining marinade.
- When rice has finished cooking, stir in remaining 2 Tbsp of sage and toasted sesame seeds.
- Serve the chicken kabobs over the rice.
- The cook time does not include the marinade time for the meat.
I was all out of brown rice, so used white instead. I also, reserved a bit of the marinade to microwave and drizzle over the rice. Otherwise, I made this exactly as described. Let me tell you, the flavor was magnificent, one of the best recipes I've ever taken from Recipezaar. Thanks, Paula, for this very special meal.
I left out the liquid smoke and sage. We liked it very much. Served it with a greek salad and coconut rice,
I just finished making this and it was simply outstanding. I used extra green and yellow peppers instead of the squash, and also added some pineapple chunks. My taste buds are still humming!! This is definitely a new favorite. Thanks so much for posting.