Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
This salad offers lots of tastes, textures and colors. Very appealing and satisfying.
- 5 fluid ounces chicken broth, divided
- 4 fluid ounces white wine (Chardonnay)
- 1 1⁄2 ounces arrowroot
- 2 fluid ounces olive oil
- 1 small lemon, zest of (about 1 tspn.)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 10 shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
- 2 chicken breasts
- cracked black pepper
- crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1⁄2 cup red pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup cashews, halves and pieces (Planters)
- 2 ounces goat cheese
- Mix 1 oz chicken broth with the arrowroot.
- Bring remaining 4 oz chicken broth and the wine to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Turn down heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth/arrowroot mixture.
- Simmer until mixture thickens, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Add 2 oz olive oil, lemon zest, basil flakes, 1/4 tsp salt and lemon juice.
- Put the mushrooms in a bowl and pour the above mixture over them.
- Mix and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Pound the chicken breasts to about 1/4 inch thick then cut into 1" x 2" pieces (about 20).
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes on both sides (sprinkle the red pepper flakes sparingly - it will be quite hot).
- Put the spinach in a large serving bowl.
- Grill the mushrooms over high heat until soft (save the marinade).
- Cut the grilled mushrooms in quarters.
- Grill the chicken about 1 minute on each side.
- Add the chicken and mushrooms to the serving bowl with the spinach.
- Pour the marinade over and toss.
- Add the red peppers, raisins and cashews.
- Crumble in the goat cheese.
Great flavors and texture in this salad. Have and would not change a thing! Thanks for posting!
Best Chicken Salad I have ever experienced. It was indeed an experience. Somehow chicken and mushrooms just seem to march to the same drummer; you did a marvelous job, Jimijoe, of marrying the ingredients. (You might want to consider converting the measurements for consistency.) I did not have a problem, because I usually cook by guess and by golly... It worked for me, Jimijoe; taste and flavour are excellent; combination of ingredients a good choice, and final presentation??? well that belongs to me (LOL)
Very good and interesting salad which we enjoyed. The only problem I had was converting the measurements to cups/teaspoons - sometimes I was probably off a bit but the marinade/dressing was still delicious. Thanks for sharing!