Recipe by Pippy
This is a copycat recipe I put together for a salad I ate at The Rivoli in Toronto. The flavours are harmonious and bold, and make your guests go "mmmmmmmm". I didn't do this because I just thought of it now, but a minced and seeded Thai red chili would add a nice subtl-ish heat to the dressing. I plated the salads individually.
- 6 pineapple rings, 1/2 inch thick
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 cup teriyaki sauce
- 1⁄4 cup water, to thin marinade
- 1⁄4 cup pineapple juice
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1⁄3 cup walnut oil
- 1 tablespoon grated gingerroot
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 cups gourmet salad greens
- 1 red pepper, julienned
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1⁄2 cup cashews, toasted
- teriyaki sauce, to baste chicken and pinapple
Directions See How It's Made
- Marinate the chicken breasts in teriyaki sauce and water (I included the water to prevent the sugar from blackening too much when grilling the chicken) for at least an hour.
- Make the salad dressing by whisking together the pineapple juice, lime juice, walnut oil, ginger, salt and pepper.
- Put aside.
- Grill the chicken and pineapple until done, basting for the last couple of minutes.
- Let rest while assembling the rest of the salad, then slice to your liking.
- Toss together the remaining vegetables with as much of the dressing as you like, and serve with fanned chicken slices on top.
- I used about half of the dressing, and served extra at the table for anyone who likes more.
- The ginger and lime juice give it lots of zing, so you don't need too much.
- Cut the rings in half, arrange among the chicken slices, and sprinkle with the cashews.