Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A new twist on a classic grilled cheese sandwich! Enjoy with a nice bowl of tomato soup for comfort food on a cold day. Recipe courtesy Greg Morris for Food Network Magazine. I made a few adjustments using veggie bacon.
- 8 slices veggie bacon
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more as needed
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 12 ounces cotswold cheese (double Gloucester with chives) or 12 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 tablespoons thousand island dressing
- Cook the bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 6-8 minutes. Remove and place on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Heat the butter in the skillet over medium heat.
- Add 2 bread slices. Top each with one-quarter of the cheese and 2 strips bacon.
- Spread 2 bread slices with some of the dressing and press them on top of the sandwiches, dressing-side down.
- Cook until the cheese melts and the bread is golden, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Repeat to make 2 more sandwiches, adding more butter as needed.
Yum! I used your Smoky Tempeh Bacon recipe and a homemade Thousand Island. Snuck in a few lettuce leaves as this was our main dish accompanied by homemade applesauce! Good sandwich and will make again! Prepared for Veg Tag/November.
Other than using regular bacon, made this as written, and used cheddar cheese. The dressing really gives some great flavor, we all Enjoyed.. Made for PRMR.