Prep 5 mins
Cook 11 mins
This is a wonderful sandwich!! I was making myself a grilled cheese sandwich about a week ago, and decided to get a little creative with it. It came out spectacular. This is a nice change from your average grilled cheese :-) AND DONT BE AFRAID TO TRY IT! Even if you dont like spinach, try the sandwich.. its great!!!
- 1 slice American cheese (or whatever kind you prefer)
- 2 slices tomatoes
- 6 spinach leaves, torn in half (more or less, you decide, I like a lot!!)
- 2 slices white bread (or whatever kind you prefer, if you use large slices you may need to add more ingredients)
- 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash garlic powder
- spray frying pan with cooking spray.
- Turn stove on to medium heat, and add tomatoes to outside edges of pan, and add spinach to center.
- Sprinkle salt and garlic over the vegetables.
- Toss spinach frequently, and turn tomatoes over after a minute or so.
- cook tomato just until it gets a little soft, but do not wait until it gets mushy.
- Cook spinach until slightly wilted.
- Take both out when they are done and set aside.
- Wipe pan out with towel, and heat on medium.
- Butter one piece of bread as you would for a regular grilled cheese sandwich.
- Put bread in pan, and place cheese on top and then place spinach and tomato on top of the cheese.
- Allow to heat.
- Butter the other piece of bread, and fry sandwich until nicely browned on both sides.
- Remove and Serve!
Yummy! I also put mine in the oven just for health's sake. Oh, and I added some fresh basil and spicy mustard. Very tasty lunch!
I have often made another recipe that combines chopped spinach with shredded cheese for grilled cheese. It is one of my favorites. Sauteing the spinach with garlic is even better. I skipped cooking the tomatoes before adding them to the sandwich and probably used double the amount of baby spinach. On multi-grain bread, this was fabulous.
Yum! I followed the recipe with only minor changes: I used vegetarian Old Style Cheddar, eight spinach leaves - next time I'll use more - four small slices of vine-ripened tomatoes, and added cracked black pepper. Instead of buttering the bread I melted some butter in the pan, dropped both bread slices in, topped one slice with the filling, then placed the other slice on top. Will make again!