Recipe by Hey Jude
To me, grilled cheese is the ultimate comfort food, along with some tomato soup. This recipe is sort of 'modernized' for adults and comes out warm, oozy and just right. It gives me 'the warm snugglies'!
Top Review by HeatherFeather
Yum, yum yum. This is a delicious sandwich. I loved the combo of flavors - the crunch of the pumpernickel toast, the smooth creamy avocado, and the tang of the dijon went so well together. Delicious! NOTE: I used Smart Balance in place of butter, and reduced the amount to about 2 tsp total.
- 1⁄2 ripe avocado
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 4 slices firm pumpernickel bread
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 ounces mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces thinly sliced smoked turkey
- salt, freshly ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Pit, peel and thinly slice avocado.
- Spread butter on one side of each bread slice; turn slices over; spread with mustard.
- Top 2 of the slices with mozzarella, avocado and turkey.
- Season with salt and pepper; top with remaining 2 bread slices, buttered sides up.
- Heat a heavy skillet over moderate heat until hot but no smoking; cooking sandwiches until bread is crisp and cheese is melted, about 1 1/2 minutes on each side.