Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
I got this recipe off of Tyler Florence Ultimate. It was such a weird combo and I was in the mood for grilled cheese, so I tried it. WOW - I'll never have a plain old grilled cheese sandwich again! I'm adding some tweaks in his original recipe - this is how I made it. Bacon can be cooked in the oven or a skillet, I just prefer the oven so I used that.
- 8 slices thick white bread, bakery preferred not processed
- 12 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, thickly sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 12 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 green apple, thinly sliced (no need to peel)
- Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line baking sheet with foil and arrange bacon slices. They can be touching but make sure they do not overlap.
- Bake 15-25 minutes depending on your desired tastes - I like my bacon extra crispy so I went the full 25. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Heat large skillet over medium heat.
- Assemble sandwich; generously spread Dijon on 4 slices of bread. Top with slices of cheddar, 3 pieces of bacon, apple slices and additional cheddar. Place the remaining bread on top and spread with butter.
- Place on skillet buttered side down and butter the remaining side. Cook until cheese starts to melt and bread is browned, about 4 minutes. Flip the sandwich and continue to cook until cheese is melted and bread is golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.
This grilled cheese sandwich is a definite WOW! I used Pepperidge Farm's sourdough bread and it tasted great for these sandwiches. Maple cured thick bacon is what I had on hand and cooking it in the oven is so much easier for clean up and tastes great. A rich sandwich with the tang from the dijon mustard, bite of the apple, and smokiness from the bacon. Everyone should try this grilled cheese! Thank you lazy gourmet for posting this recipe. Made and reviewed for the Iron Chef/Secret Ingredient recipe tag game in the game forum.
This was delicious, i loved it even better than bacon and tomato and cheese.