Prep 1 min
Cook 3 mins
I was out of Velveeta, the cheese I usually use for a grilled cheese. Instead I used raw (unpasteurized) pepper jack cheese. I'll never go back to Velveeta grilled cheese again! Even my picky 3-year-old brother loves them and keeps asking me to make him a "spicy grilled cheese!"
- butter (optional)
- 1 slice shepard's bread
- 1 slice raw monterey jack pepper cheese, 1/4 inch thick
- 1 slice raw sharp cheddar cheese, 1/4 inch thick (optional)
- Place bread in a skillet on medium heat.
- Add butter to pan to prevent sticking (optional).
- Lightly toast bread on both sides.
- Put cheese directly in pan to slightly melt.
- After cheese is slightly melted, place cheese on bread using a spatula.
- Fold bread over onto instelf. (Fold in half).
- Place grilled cheese on plate and eat.
Very good grilled cheese! Love the kick for a change of pace. Made for the Aussie/New Zealand Recipe Swap #22.
It doesn't get any better, Bella. Great variation on a classic.