Esi Impraim's inspiration: chef Thomas Keller's Cheesy fried-egg BLT in the 2004 movie Spanglish. Impraim's version is quite different from the original-and just as delicious. Sunset Magazine, July 2009 edition. Have tweaked this, so as to cut down on the caloric value without changing the flavor. :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 -8 tomatoes, halves (soaked & then dried)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/2 tablespoons softened butter, divided (we used about half the amount)
- olive oil flavored cooking spray (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (a couple pinches, if desired)
- 1 teaspoon minced flat leaf parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leave
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 1/2 cup coarsely shredded smoked gouda cheese
- 6 slices crisp-cooked turkey bacon (made in the microwave)
- 1/2 cup loosely packed baby spinach leaves
- 1Soak tomatoes in warm water until they're very soft, 20 to 30 minutes, then dry with paper towels.
- 2In a large nonstick frying pan, fry eggs in 1/4 tablespoons butter & some olive-oil cooking spray, over medium heat until whites are just set.
- 3Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- 4Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine remaining 1 tablespoons butter (more if needed), 1/4 teaspoons salt, pepper to taste, pinch of red pepper flakes, the parsley, thyme, and lemon juice.
- 5Transfer eggs to a plate.
- 6Spread herb butter on 1 side of each bread slice, dividing evenly.
- 7Turn 2 slices over and top with gouda, bacon, tomatoes, and spinach, dividing evenly.
- 8Top each sandwich with a fried egg and remaining bread slices, buttered sides up.
- 9Cook sandwiches (using olive-oil cooking spray - wherever you can) until golden brown, turning once, about 8 minutes total.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Cheese W/Bacon, Spinach, Tomatoes & Fried Eggs
Serving Size: 1 (1144 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 613.7
- Calories from Fat 349
- Total Fat 38.8 g
- Saturated Fat 18.5 g
- Cholesterol 319.6 mg
- Sodium 1451.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.5 g
- Sugars 14.6 g
- Protein 28.7 g