Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
OH BOY, OH BOY! Tried these for lunch today, they are so good! We thought we would share one of these for lunch, but had to make a second one, it was just too good! (I will try fresh tomatoes next time, although the canned were great.) from the local newspaper.
- 2 slices thickly cut sourdough bread or 1 submarine roll, with some of the inside removed
- 1⁄2 cup shredded or sliced sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup whole peeled canned tomatoes, drained and halved lengthwise or 2 large tomatoes
- 1⁄2 medium tart apple, such as granny smith, unpeeled and sliced thinly
- vegetable oil or olive oil, for spraying pan
- Sprinkle half of cheese evenly over one of bread slices.
- Arrange tomato halves over cheese, covering bread slices evenly.
- Top with apple slices.
- Sprinkle with remainder of cheese.
- Top with remaining bread slice.
- Heat a non stick sauté pan and spray lightly with veggie oil.
- Place sandwich in pan and weigh top down by pressing a plate over sandwich,topped with a can.
- Sauté over low heat 3 to 4 minutes.
- Turn sandwich over and repeat process until bread is golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Slice in two and serve immediately.
FANTASTIC!! I used FF cheddar cheese and moderately tart apples, as well as fresh tomatoes. Used FF whole wheat pita bread--this was REALLY, really fantastic and I will be eating this a lot! It was really out of this world, no need to change anything at all!!!
"Ohhhhh boyyy" is right!!! Dorothy, this was amazing!!! I used a slit pita bread and 1 cube of Laughing Cow French cheese, but next time I'll try this with cheddar. We don't get tart apples here, so I had to use a regular "sweet" one, but I can imagine how totally out of this world this sandwich would be with all the right ingredients! This is one recipe I'll be making over and over for the rest of my life! Thanks you SO much!
These were just okay. Maybe the problem is that I used mild cheddar cheese. They were kind of bland.