Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
OH BOY, OH BOY! Tried these for lunch today, they are so good! We thought we would share one of these for lunch, but had to make a second one, it was just too good! (I will try fresh tomatoes next time, although the canned were great.) from the local newspaper.
- 2 slices thickly cut sourdough bread or 1 submarine roll, with some of the inside removed
- 1⁄2 cup shredded or sliced sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup whole peeled canned tomatoes, drained and halved lengthwise or 2 large tomatoes
- 1⁄2 medium tart apple, such as granny smith, unpeeled and sliced thinly
- vegetable oil or olive oil, for spraying pan
- Sprinkle half of cheese evenly over one of bread slices.
- Arrange tomato halves over cheese, covering bread slices evenly.
- Top with apple slices.
- Sprinkle with remainder of cheese.
- Top with remaining bread slice.
- Heat a non stick sauté pan and spray lightly with veggie oil.
- Place sandwich in pan and weigh top down by pressing a plate over sandwich,topped with a can.
- Sauté over low heat 3 to 4 minutes.
- Turn sandwich over and repeat process until bread is golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Slice in two and serve immediately.