Recipe by Derf
OH BOY, OH BOY! Tried these for lunch today, they are so good! We thought we would share one of these for lunch, but had to make a second one, it was just too good! (I will try fresh tomatoes next time, although the canned were great.) from the local newspaper.
Top Review by spatchcock
FANTASTIC!! I used FF cheddar cheese and moderately tart apples, as well as fresh tomatoes. Used FF whole wheat pita bread--this was REALLY, really fantastic and I will be eating this a lot! It was really out of this world, no need to change anything at all!!!
- 2 slices thickly cut sourdough bread or 1 submarine roll, with some of the inside removed
- 1⁄2 cup shredded or sliced sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup whole peeled canned tomatoes, drained and halved lengthwise or 2 large tomatoes
- 1⁄2 medium tart apple, such as granny smith, unpeeled and sliced thinly
- vegetable oil or olive oil, for spraying pan
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle half of cheese evenly over one of bread slices.
- Arrange tomato halves over cheese, covering bread slices evenly.
- Top with apple slices.
- Sprinkle with remainder of cheese.
- Top with remaining bread slice.
- Heat a non stick sauté pan and spray lightly with veggie oil.
- Place sandwich in pan and weigh top down by pressing a plate over sandwich,topped with a can.
- Sauté over low heat 3 to 4 minutes.
- Turn sandwich over and repeat process until bread is golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Slice in two and serve immediately.