Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
A recipe from Rachael Ray that looks so amazing and different.
- 2 grapefruits, cut into segments, juice reserved
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- salt and pepper
- 1 fennel bulb, cored and thinly sliced
- 8 slices round sourdough loaf (1/2-inch)
- 8 slices swiss cheese (deli)
- 2 cups arugula, packed
- In a medium bowl, combine the grapefruit and all but 2 tablespoons of the juice, the scallions, jalapeno and 2 tablespoons olive oil; season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat an outdoor grill or a grill pan to medium-high. In a medium bowl, toss the fennel with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and the remaining 2 tablespoons of grapefruit juice; season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the bread slices on a work surface; top each with a slice of cheese, one-quarter of the fennel, one-quarter of the arugula and a second slice of cheese. Cover with the remaining bread slices.
- Brush one side of the sandwiches with olive oil. Place oil side down on the grill; brush the tops with olive oil. Grill, turning once, until the cheese is melted and grill marks appear, about 7 minutes. Serve with the spicy grapefruit salad.
I did use but 1/2 of a jalapeno & made the sandwiches with slices of a nutty, whole grain bread that we enjoy so much, but other than those changes, your recipe was followed right on down & made for a wonderful combo of salad & sandwich for lunch! Definitely a great keeper of a recipe! [Made & reviewed in Newest Zaar tag]