Recipe by Little Old Me
I used to babysit a whole gaggle of kids and slow cooking sandwiches on the stove top just wasnt practical! This is a nice oven baked alternative. If you are really in a hurry, use the broiler! (For a full lunch, I would add two slices of turkey or ham to each sandwich)
Top Review by lets.eat
Fantastic, shocking how a different cooking technique changed the texture and flavor of the sandwich. Crunchy out side/soft cheesey inside. For my DS's I went with american, and I always use 2 slices of cheese per sandwich, also added julienned sliced deli ham(by cutting the ham in strips I don't have to worry that they will take a bite and have a whole slice of ham slide out of the hot cheese and scald their chins-has happened too many times before). For my DH and I used 1 slice of american, julienned ham and a slice of Jarlsberg. Yummy. Served pickled green tomatoes and red tomatoes w/s&p on the side.
- 12 slices bread
- 12 slices cheddar cheese or 12 slices American cheese
- 8 tablespoons butter or 8 tablespoons margarine
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter each side of the bread slices with 1 t butter or margarine, and place on a baking sheet.
- Place cheese on each slice of bread.
- Top with remaining bread.
- Bake in preheated oven for 6 to 8 minutes at 450.
- Flip the sandwiches, and bake an additional 6 to 8 minutes, or until golden brown.