Recipe by GREG IN SAN DIEGO
The technique I use to prepare these sandwiches insures that they will be crispy and golden brown on the outside and creamy on the inside.
Top Review by Baby Kato
This was a great grilled cheese sandwich. Perfect, crisp and very cheesey. I added three thin slices of dill pickles to the sandwich, it worked beautifully. Thank you for sharing your recipe. :)
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2⁄3 cup grated monterey jack cheese
- 8 slices white bread (Use dense bread, such as Pepperidge Farm)
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine cheeses in a bowl.
- Brush top side of each bread slice with melted butter. Flip 4 slices over, sprinkle with cheese and compact lightly with hand. Cover with remaining bread slices, buttered side up.
- Heat large nonstick skillet or griddle over medium-low heat for 1 minute.
- Place 2 sandwiches in pan on the griddle. Weight them down with a round cake pan, pressing lightly. Leave cake pan on top and cook until first side is golden brown, about 3 to 5 minutes. Flip sandwiches, press again with cake pan and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Repeat with remaining sandwiches.
- Variations: Add one very thin slice of red onion, rings separated, while filling sandwiches. Or, add slices of very thinly sliced salami.