Prep 5 mins
Cook 32 mins
When you're not in the mood to cook, this is THE recipe. Not a sandwich-no bread; not a quiche; not a pie-no crust; just good, plain and fast to do. And only one dirty bowl. Just be SURE to grease the pie plate VERY well. This also lends itself to any number of additions. A great lunch. Or, on the side, a few slices of tomatoes or a small salad and Voila! Dinner! From my collection of really "Olde" recipes.
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup milk, and
- 1⁄2 cup milk, additional
- 1⁄2 cup cheese, your choice, shredded, Cheddar is good, so is Swiss, and
- 1⁄2 cup cheese, shredded, additional
- In small mixing bowl, combine egg, flour, salt, pepper, 1/2 cup milk.
- Using hand rotary beater, beat until smooth.
- Add remaining 1/2 cup milk.
- Beat until well blended.
- Stir in 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
- Pour into well-greased 8" pie pan.
- Bake at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 cup shredded cheese and bake about 2 minutes more.
- Cut into 4 (or more) slices.
- Grilled Pizza Sandwich: Stir 1/2 cup finely chopped pepperoni or salami and 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning into batter.
- Grilled Mexican Sandwich Pie: Taco seasoning, Mexican blend cheese and some chopped black olives, a few leftover black beans?.
- Crumbled cooked bacon?. I'm sure you'll have some other ideas.
Doesn't taste anything like grilled cheese; more like a Bisquick Impossible pie. Hmmmm. I am a cheese-a-holic and thought this would be a wower, but sorry. Not so good.
What a fun and easy recipe. We loved it! Quick to make and limitless for variations on the theme. Thanks for a "keeper" Jezski!
Different but good. I followed the recipe exactly as written other then I cut back on the salt by half. My son said he thought this would be even better using pizza toppings. Mine cooked in 25 minutes. I used cheddar cheese and we all enjoyed this.