Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
One lazy afternoon, while just lolling around a swimming pool, the hosts served a platter of these sandwiches, along with fresh fruit and iced tea. Perfect lunch!! This is now my favorite way to make grilled cheese. Also good with tomato soup!
- softened butter, as needed
- 2 slices seeded rye bread
- 1 tablespoon sweet onion, finely minced
- 1 slice muenster cheese
- 1 slice deli ham
- 4 slices sharp cheddar cheese (from a 10-ounce bar, such as Cabot or Cracker Barrel)
- 1 slice American cheese
- Dijon mustard, as needed
- ketchup, as needed
- Heat a frying pan over medium-low heat.
- Butter slices of bread.
- Spread the opposite side of one slice of bread with the ketchup and mustard. Sprinkle with the onions. Then layer on the Muenster cheese, cheddar cheese, ham, and American cheese.
- Lay the half-assembled sandwich into the pan, and then top with the second slice of of buttered bread.
- Brown both sides of the sandwich, until cheese has melted.