Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Never would have thought of adding tomato and onion to a grilled cheese sandwich till I had it at a pub here in Michigan. So yummy! I hope you give it a try.
- 4 slices ciabatta
- 2 slices American cheese
- 2 slices swiss cheese
- 4 slices tomatoes
- 2 slices vidalia onions, thin
- butter or olive oil
- Heat pan or stove top grill.
- Use butter or olive oil to coat one side of each slice.
- Place 2 slices oil side down and arrange american cheese, tomato, onion then swiss cheese.
- Top with remaining slice of bread, oil side out.
- Heat on medium heat till brown. I like to weigh down with iron skillet (or similar) to make a panini type sandwich.
- Flip and repeat for other side. Enjoy!
I have made grilled cheese with onion and grilled cheese with tomato; I don't know why I never thought to use both onion and tomato. The chiabatta bread I found at the bakery I went to was very small diameter-wise, so I bought sliced Tuscan bread instead. I loved the combination of tomato and onion and the combination of American and swiss cheeses. Easy and yummy...you can't beat that! :) Made for PAC Fall 2012.
Yum! Great twist on grilled cheese. Loved the addition of the tomatoes and onions to the two cheeses. Thanks for sharing!
No wonder people are leaving Michigan. Tomato and Onion on a grilled cheese sandwich without a sprinkle of parsley and a side of new potatoes. SOOOOO Blazay. Just kidding Lynn.