Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
This sandwich is a little different than the usual grilled cheese but so good. I always serve it with a bit of corn syrup for dipping (ketchup would not work!). Actually, when we were growing up grilled cheese always came with a side of corn syrup for dipping and that still is the way I like it best. I am a cheese lover, extra old cheddar is my favorite but on this sandwich I go back to Velveeta which once again takes me back to my childhood. This sandwich is quite sweet so if you don't like sweet it won't be your cup of tea!
- 2 slices raisin bread
- 2 slices Velveeta cheese (feel free to use your favorite cheese and adjust quantity as desired)
- 2 teaspoons butter (or margarine)
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- Place cheese on top of one slice of bread and then cover with the other slice.
- Lightly butter outer sides of both slices of bread.
- Grill at medium heat in a frying pan until light brown.
- Turn and grill the other side.
- Serve with corn syrup. (if you prefer not to use it that is fine, it will still be good!).
I really liked this sandwich. Creamy, tangy, sweet, a little crispy. mmm...very unique, but I like sweet and savory recipes. I used cheddar cheese and look forward to making it with Velveeta. DH was not the least bit interested in trying it. He said he isn't that adventurous, yet he'll eat seriously exotic Asian food. Anyway, I'm glad I tried this and I'm looking forward to making it again. Thanks for posting.
So simple and so good! I used Cheddar and honey.
This was sooo good! I used cheddar cheese and tried it with both honey and maple syrup, either of which is tasty. I love both raisin bread and cheese, so having them together is winning combination. This is a great recipe and I'm definitely going to make this again. Thanks a lot.