Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 mins
Easy and oh so good, this will satisfy your taste buds! Adapted from Rachael Ray's Big Orange Book cookbook.
- 8 slices pumpernickel bread
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened (1/2 stick)
- 8 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 8 slices emmentaler swiss cheese (if you can't find, use gruyere or Jarlsberg)
- 2 large dill pickles, thinly sliced lengthwise (or sweet, if you prefer)
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Spread one side of all 8 slices of bread with butter. Spread the other side of 4 of the slices with the Dijon mustard.
- Top each mustard coated bread with a folded slice of Emmentaler cheese and place some pickle slices on top. Cover with a second slice of bread, buttered side up.
- Place the sandwiches in a hot skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, toasting and crisping the bread.
- Cut the sandwiches in half from corner to corner and serve! Enjoy!
Reeeeeeally good. I don't think I've ever had pickles with grilled cheese before. I used dill pickle chips. Thanks so much for posting!
Scaled back to 1 sandwich for the DM (was going to do for her lunch but she requested for her breakfast) and she has thoroughly enjoyed every moutful. I did use a rye bread and toasted in the sandwich press, finely sliced cornichons and Jarlsberg cheese. Thank you Sharon123, made for Partying the Diabetic Way.
Thanks so much for A GREAT, GRILLED TREAT ~ We really enjoyed this sandwich! I used Jarlsberg then used sweet pickles for mine, while my other half went for the dill variety, sad, but true! Will be making these again & again! A wonderful keeper, for sure! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Please Review My Recipe]