Bubbling cheesy goodness for the kids, wheat germ, carrots, and sweet potatoes for their bodies. This is adapted from the book "the sneaky chef" filled with all kinds of ideas on adding vegetables, fruits, and fiber into the diet of children and other picky eaters. If you end up baking often, it would pay to make a batch of the white flour, whole wheat flour, and wheat germ for faster baking. This uses Orange Puree, a blend of cooked carrots and sweet potatoes. If you are short on time, you can use jarred baby food instead. The texture of the puree is essential in hiding the texture of the vegetables in these muffins. Feel free to use low fat cheddar cheese in this recipe.
My Private Note
large m ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup white flour
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup wheat germ
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt or 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
use 3/4 cup orange puree (recipe 256341)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 and prepare your muffin tins (spray or liners).
- 2In a mixing bowl, whisk together the white flour, whole wheat flour, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- 3add Parmesean and 3/4 cup of the cheddar cheese and set aside.
- 4In another bowl, combine egg and sugar, then whisk in the oil and Orange Puree (carrots and sweet potatoes).
- 5Fold the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until flour is just moistened. As with all muffins, don't over mix or your muffins will be tough and over-dense.
- 6Scoop the batter into muffin tins, filling just over the top. Sprinkle the tops evenly with the remaining 1/4 cup of cheese and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the tops are golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- 7Ideally, serve muffins warm.
Browse Our Top Muffins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Muffins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Cheese Muffins
Serving Size: 1 (467 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 222.1
- Calories from Fat 128
- Total Fat 14.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 70.4 mg
- Sodium 470.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 8.6 g