Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Great way to use up leftover meatloaf! Use the hearty, or country style, white bread slices that are larger than regular white bread.
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 8 slices hearty white bread
- 12 slices American cheese
- 8 slices cold meatloaf (1/2-inch)
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Brush butter evenly on 1 side of each bread slice and place four of the slices, buttered side down, into skillet.
- Top each with 1 1/2 slices cheese, 2 meat loaf slices and then an additional 1 1/2 slices of cheese.
- Top with remaining bread slices, buttered side up.
- Cook 4-5 minutes on each side or until golden; serve immediately.
Awesome recipe! I prefer to use a flat top griddle though, brown and heat up the leftover meatloaf while the bread toasts and the cheese melts, you can even form a thin patty of leftover potatoes to go on it. Different cheeses and add tomatoes, deeeelicious!
This is wonderful comfort food. I downsized the recipe to just one sandwich for myself for lunch. My slices of sourdough bread were huge, and my appetite is fairly small. Therefore, I just used one slice of bread cut in half for my sandwich with one slice of meatloaf...I did put a slice of cheese on either side of the meatloaf to melt and glue the sandwich together. Mmmmm...decadence. Diet be damned. LOL This would be an excellent grilled sandwich to pair with tomato soup. I am not ashamed to admit that I dipped mine in ketchup. :) Thanks for the recipe.