Prep 5 mins
Cook 7 mins
I was disappointed with the lack of variation and uses for asparagus; I don't eat much that requires a side dish and stratas are too time-consuming for one person. I came up with this and it is TASTY! If I had tomato, I would have put that in there at the end too. It could also be done in a sandwich maker much more easily! I dip mine in ketchup--I guess that's the only non-grownup part :o)
- Preheat a frying pan or griddle and spray with cooking spray or melt butter/margarine over medium heat.
- Break off bottoms of asparagus spears at the point they naturally break.
- Sauté for several minutes.
- At the same time, either butter your bread or place it plain on the griddle or pan.
- Top with one slice of cheese.
- Do the same with the other slice.
- When asparagus is tender-crisp, place it on top of one slice of bread.
- Place other slice on top and continue frying to melt the cheese.
- When the bread is nicely toasted and the cheese is melted enough to hold on the asparagus, remove from heat season with salt and pepper to your liking.
What a great way to prepare one of my favorite vegtables (asparagus)!!! I also topped it off with a slice of tomato. This proves again you don't always have to spend a lot of time, money and preparation to make a wonderful meal. Thank you so much for sharing this, Jellie. :-)