The mayonnaise in place of the butter makes the bread toast evenly and gives a similar yet different crispiness. This is how they made it on the grill at a diner I used to frequent, the kind where the grill is behind the counter and you can watch. CAUTION: using low fat or no fat mayo or even miracle whip will change the outcome of the final product, the first 2 contain water and the second sugar that does not act in the same manor as an oil or fat sub.
- Heat a small skillet to medium.
- Using a butter knife, spread half of mayonnaise onto one slice of the bread, place mayo side down in the skillet.
- Top with cheese.
- Spread remaining mayonnaise onto second slice of bread and place mayonnaise side up on top of cheese.
- Cook 3 minutes, or until bread is toasty brown, turn and repeat.
- Note: Miracle Whip does not work for this, as the sugar in it tends to burn.