1/17 Photos of Grilled Cheese, Diner Style
The mayonnaise in place of the butter makes the bread toast evenly and gives a similar yet different crispiness. This is how they made it on the grill at a diner I used to frequent, the kind where the grill is behind the counter and you can watch. CAUTION: using low fat or no fat mayo or even miracle whip will change the outcome of the final product, the first 2 contain water and the second sugar that does not act in the same manor as an oil or fat sub.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat a small skillet to medium.
- 2Using a butter knife, spread half of mayonnaise onto one slice of the bread, place mayo side down in the skillet.
- 3Top with cheese.
- 4Spread remaining mayonnaise onto second slice of bread and place mayonnaise side up on top of cheese.
- 5Cook 3 minutes, or until bread is toasty brown, turn and repeat.
- 6Note: Miracle Whip does not work for this, as the sugar in it tends to burn.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Cheese, Diner Style
Serving Size: 1 (64 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 237.3
- Calories from Fat 90
- Total Fat 10.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 12.9 mg
- Sodium 497.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 6.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: