Recipe by Sharon123
Such a cool idea! Great on top of tomato soup, or any soup! Sprinkle over salads, pair with fresh tomatoes, have fun! Adapted from 300 Sensational Soups by Carla Snyder and Meredith Deeds, and published in Family Fun magazine.
Top Review by Noo
Such a simple idea,but oh so effective! This was wonderful tossed through salad,adding great texture and taste. Looking forward to trying these little beauties with soup,come the cooler weather.
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme (or try basil)
- 6 slices bread (whole wheat is good)
- 3 ounces cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat.
- In a small bowl, combine butter and thyme. Spread over one side of each bread slice with the butter mixture.
- Place 3 slices in the pan, buttered side down. Top with the cheese, then with remaining bread slices, buttered side up.
- Cook, turning once, until toasted on both sides, 3-5 minutes per side.
- Remove the sandwiches from the pan. Let them cool slightly, then cut them into 1" squares. Use in soups(tomato is especially nice), on top of salads, etc. Enjoy!
- Makes about 60 croutons.