Prep 5 mins
Cook 6 mins
I like to serve these croutons on top of "10-Minute Tuscan Tomato Soup With Parmesan Toasts". I have also substituted Swiss cheese for the cheddar cheese and serve these croutons in French onion soup. They are yummy.
- 4 slice thin-sliced bread, white or 4 slice whole wheat bread
- 29.58 ml butter, melted
- 2 slice cheddar cheese (or American or Swiss)
- On stove, heat a grill pan (or frying pan) over medium-high heat.
- Brush one side of each bread slice with butter.
- Place two slices in the pan, buttered side down.
- Top with one slice of cheese each, then top with remaining slices of bread, buttered side up.
- Grill 2-3 minutes, until toasted; turn and grill other side.
- Cut into 1-inch squares.
- Serve your choice of soup hot, topped with a few croutons per serving.
- This recipe should make enough for 6 servings of soup.
We love grilled cheese with most any of the soups we make. Never thought to make croutons out of them. They do become soggy rather fast, so we kept a plate of them out and we added a couple at a time as we enjoyed Colorful Potato Soup. Thanks Lainey for another great recipe. Made for Holiday Tag.
Really enjoyed these in my chicken noodle soup! It reminds me of challah that we usually put in our soup but this has some cheese flavor. It is a nice twist.