Top Review by lilu
I've been wanting to try this recipe but was having trouble finding chipotles. I found them and forgot the tomato! However, it was a wonderful sandwich and tomorrow it will get the tomato and possibly a slice of avocado. I used ciabatta bread and Smart Balance "butter" and just crunched away. You might want to be cautious with the chipotle puree but do use it.
- 4 slices white bread or 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 teaspoons pureed chipotle chiles
- 5 ounces cheese, shredded or thinly sliced
- 1 ripe tomatoes
- thinly sliced red onion
- cilantro leaf, coarsely chopped
- soft butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Spread each piece of bread with thin coating of pureed chiles, or more if you like your sandwich really hot.
- Cover bottom slice with layer of cheese, tomato and onion slices and as much cilantro as you like.
- Top with second slice of bread and butter it.
- Place sandwich, butter-side down, in cast-iron skillet.
- Spread top piece of bread with butter as well and cook sandwich slowly.
- When golden brown on bottom, turn it over and cook on the other side.
- Covering pan will help melt cheese by the time bread is crisped and golden.
- Eat right away with something very cold to drink.