Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 4 slices white bread or 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 teaspoons pureed chipotle chiles
- 5 ounces cheese, shredded or thinly sliced
- 1 ripe tomatoes
- thinly sliced red onion
- cilantro leaf, coarsely chopped
- soft butter
- Spread each piece of bread with thin coating of pureed chiles, or more if you like your sandwich really hot.
- Cover bottom slice with layer of cheese, tomato and onion slices and as much cilantro as you like.
- Top with second slice of bread and butter it.
- Place sandwich, butter-side down, in cast-iron skillet.
- Spread top piece of bread with butter as well and cook sandwich slowly.
- When golden brown on bottom, turn it over and cook on the other side.
- Covering pan will help melt cheese by the time bread is crisped and golden.
- Eat right away with something very cold to drink.
I've been wanting to try this recipe but was having trouble finding chipotles. I found them and forgot the tomato! However, it was a wonderful sandwich and tomorrow it will get the tomato and possibly a slice of avocado. I used ciabatta bread and Smart Balance "butter" and just crunched away. You might want to be cautious with the chipotle puree but do use it.
Hot hot hot! And yummy. Thanks Dancer! (I used non-fat cheese and no butter--baked open face in the oven!)
We really enjoyed these sandwiches last night. I left off the cilantro leaves, just didn't seem to go with this and not crazy about them. A nice change from the regular grilled cheese. thanks