Prep 45 mins
Cook 10 mins
In 'The Book of Burger' by Rachael Ray
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, very finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground chuck
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- kosher salt
- 3 -4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 8 slices white pullman bread
- 3 -4 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 8 slices deli swiss cheese
- 8 slices bacon, cooked until crisp
- 8 slices tomatoes
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium skillet over med-high heat.
- Add in the onion and cook until tender, 4-5 minutes.
- Transfer the onion to a large bowl to cool.
- When the onion has cooled enough to touch, add the beef and Worcestershire sauce; season with salt and pepper and mix thoroughly.
- Score the meat into 4 equal portions and shape them into thin patties slightly thinner at the center than at the edges for even cooking .
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over med-high heat.
- Cook the burgers, flipping once, 10 minutes for medium.
- While the burgers are cooking, butter up one side of each slice of bread, then flip over and spread mustard on the other side of each slice.
- When the burgers have finished cooking, make you stacks by laying down 4 slices of bread butter side down and topping them with a slice of Swiss cheese, a burger, another slice of cheese, 2 slices of bacon, and 2 slices tomato.
- Cap the stack with a slice of bread, butter side up.
- Wipe out the pan that the burgers were cooked in and return it to medium heat.
- Add the stacks to the pan and cook, flipping once, until the bread is toasted golden brown and the cheese has melted, 2-3 minutes per side.