Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Comfort food for a leisurely weekend breakfast or a rushed weeknight dinner if you plan ahead. I like a little mustard powder or cayenne in this, but the boys like it "plain".
- Cook the bacon until crisp, remove from pan and crumble.
- Saute the onions and garlic in about 1 tablespoon of bacon grease until
- tender, about 4 minutes. Combine the onions with the bacon.
- Place 4 cups of bread in the bottom of a 9 by 13 pan, top with 2/3 cup cheese and 1/2 the onion mixture and 1/2 of the tomatoes.
- Combine the eggs, milk, basil and seasonings and pour half over the tomatoes. Repeat the layers.
- Cover and chill over night. Bake, uncovered at 325 degrees for 55 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 2/3 cup of cheese and return to the oven until
- the cheese melts, about 5 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.