Recipe by Heirloom
A quick and easy hot sandwich...I ate this almost every day when I was in school.
Top Review by SweetySJD
Delicious! I've had grilled cheese tomato sandwiches many times, but never with the addition of onion, and it was fabulous! I used whole wheat bread, everything else was as written. Served with corn on the cob this was a perfect end-of-summer dinner. Thanks!
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 1 slice onion
- 3 slices tomatoes
- 2 slices cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- sea salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a sauté pan cook onion slice until softened and starting to caramelize.
- Butter one side each of the bread slices.
- Build sandwich like a traditional grilled cheese, 1 slice bread butter side down, cheese slice, onions and tomato, cheese slice, and bread slice butter side up.
- Place in sauté pan over medium heat and cook for 3 minutes.
- Flip sandwich over, if you have a panini press now is the time to use it! If not, pressing down firmly with a spatula works well also. Cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Cut in half and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Be careful, tomatoes will be hot!