Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This matches the sharp tang of pumpernickel rye bread with the smooth flavor of pear. You can use other cheeses with this instead of the gouda. I've tried it with feta and blue cheese as well.
- Melt 1 tbsp butter in a small frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion, seasoning with salt and pepper and cook until carmelized and set aside. (Be sure to stir occasionally. This takes about 15 minutes.).
- In assembly line fashion, put cheese, onions, and pear slices on 4 slices of bread and top with the remaining 4 slices.
- Heat a frying pan to medium-low heat and melt 1 tbsp butter.
- Add the sandwiches and grill until the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted.
- Flip the sandwiches to toast the other side.
This was a perfect solution to the problem of what to make for dinner tonight. We made a few changes due to allergies and availability, using whole-grain wheat bread, Bartlett pear, and good quality feta cheese. It was simply amazing!! My fiance, our roomie and I all loved this easy, quick light dinner. While we've always known how wonderfully feta and pear go together, we had never thought to use them in this type of way until I stumbled across this great recipe. *Thank you* for sharing! We will make this again often.