A gourmet grilled cheese indulgence by Rick Rodgers using a unique technique. Don't let the caloric content sway you however, the enjoyment of this sandwich will outweigh the consequences of consuming it!
- In a large heavy skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon for about 6 minutes, turning occasionally, until browned and crisp.
- Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Wash skillet out and dry.
- On a clean work surface, place four slices of bread and press 1/4 cup grated sharp cheddar onto each slice.
- Top each with two slices of tomato and sprinkle with pepper.
- Place two bacon slices over the tomato, breaking to fit sandwich if necessary.
- Press 1/4 cup cheese over bacon on each.
- Top with remaining bread slices and spread 1/2 tablespoon of mayonnaise on each.
- Heat a large, heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Cook two sandwiches at a time, mayonnaise side down, and placing a plate on top of each sandwich to weigh it down.
- Cook until bottoms are golden brown, approximately 2 minutes.
- Remove plates and spread top of each sandwich with 1/2 tablespoon mayonnaise and flip them over.
- Once again, top each with a plate and cook for about 2 minutes or until golden brown on the bottom.
- Transfer to work surface and cut sandwiches in half crosswise.