Paula Lambert; use high-quality cheddar. I like Cabot from Vermont.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place 4 slices of bread on a flat surface; spread ½ tablespoon mayonnaise on each slice.
- 2Spread 1 teaspoon dijon mustard on 2 slices atop the mayonnaise.
- 3Divide the chutney among the slices of bread and spread on each.
- 4Mound 3 ounces cheese on each of the 2 slices of bread with the mustard.
- 5Using your fingers, press to distribute and mold the cheese to cover the surface evenly.
- 6Cover the cheese with the remaining piece of bread, mayonnaise side down next to the cheese, to make 2 sandwiches.
- 7Pour 1 tablespoon olive oil in a big skillet, preferably cast iron; heat at medium-high until hot.
- 8Swirl the skillet to distribute the oil evenly.
- 9Place the two sandwiches in the pan, decrease heat to medium, and cover with a lid.
- 10Cook for several minutes until the sandwich is lightly browned.
- 11Using a pastry brush, coat the top slices of bread with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- 12Using a flat spatula, turn the sandwiches over and cook, covered with the lid, until the bread is toasted golden brown on both sides and the cheese is beginning to ooze out of the sandwich.
- 13While the sandwiches are grilling, cut the stems off the watercress and discard them.
- 14To serve: remove the sandwiches from the skillet and place on a serving platter; remove the top slices of bread and divide the watercress between the two sandwiches, spreading it out evenly, and replace the bread; cut the sandwiches in half; serve immediately.
- 15**I would probably add the watercress in step 5 instead of adding it after the sandwiches have been grilled**.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Cheddar Cheese Sandwiches With Chutney and Watercress
Serving Size: 1 (517 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 873.6
- Calories from Fat 454
- Total Fat 50.5 g
- Saturated Fat 21.2 g
- Cholesterol 92.8 mg
- Sodium 1471.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 71.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 32.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: