Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Paula Lambert; use high-quality cheddar. I like Cabot from Vermont.
Make and share this Grilled Cheddar Cheese Sandwiches With Chutney and Watercress recipe from Food.com.
- 4 slices sourdough bread, cut 1/2 inch thick (should be large slices)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 6 tablespoons mango chutney
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch watercress
- Place 4 slices of bread on a flat surface; spread ½ tablespoon mayonnaise on each slice.
- Spread 1 teaspoon dijon mustard on 2 slices atop the mayonnaise.
- Divide the chutney among the slices of bread and spread on each.
- Mound 3 ounces cheese on each of the 2 slices of bread with the mustard.
- Using your fingers, press to distribute and mold the cheese to cover the surface evenly.
- Cover the cheese with the remaining piece of bread, mayonnaise side down next to the cheese, to make 2 sandwiches.
- Pour 1 tablespoon olive oil in a big skillet, preferably cast iron; heat at medium-high until hot.
- Swirl the skillet to distribute the oil evenly.
- Place the two sandwiches in the pan, decrease heat to medium, and cover with a lid.
- Cook for several minutes until the sandwich is lightly browned.
- Using a pastry brush, coat the top slices of bread with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Using a flat spatula, turn the sandwiches over and cook, covered with the lid, until the bread is toasted golden brown on both sides and the cheese is beginning to ooze out of the sandwich.
- While the sandwiches are grilling, cut the stems off the watercress and discard them.
- To serve: remove the sandwiches from the skillet and place on a serving platter; remove the top slices of bread and divide the watercress between the two sandwiches, spreading it out evenly, and replace the bread; cut the sandwiches in half; serve immediately.
- **I would probably add the watercress in step 5 instead of adding it after the sandwiches have been grilled**.