Recipe by spatchcock
Interesting sandwiches. Love the miso!
Top Review by Is This Really Necessary
A nice recipe for an alternative toasted sandwich. I also made a version with black (hatcho) miso, which turned out quite nice, but: not for the faint of heart, as it has a very strong taste! (And a liking for Marmite/Vegemite helps.)
- 8 slices firm whole wheat bread (each about 5x4 inches)
- 4 tablespoons white miso or 4 tablespoons yellow miso
- 8 slices tomatoes, thick
- 4 slices onions, thin
- 12 large basil leaves
- 1 1⁄3 cups coarsely grated reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese (about 5 ounces)
- 4 teaspoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Place 4 bread slices on work surface.
- Spread 1 tablespoon miso over each.
- Top each with 2 tomato slices, then 1 onion slice and 3 basil leaves.
- Sprinkle each with 1/3 cup cheese.
- Top with remaining bread slices, pressing lightly to adhere.
- Spread 1/2 teaspoon butter over top of each sandwich.
- Heat 2 large nonstick skillets over medium-low heat.
- Add 2 sandwiches, butter side down, to each skillet.
- Cover and cook until bread is golden brown on bottom, about 4 minutes.
- Spread top of each sandwich with 1/2 teaspoon butter.
- Turn sandwiches over; cover and cook until bottoms are brown and cheese melts, about 3 minutes.
- Cut sandwiches crosswise in half and serve.