Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
From the March 2005 issue of Everyday Food.
- 4 slices challah or 4 slices Italian bread, cut 3/4-inch thick
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 4 ounces thin semisweet chocolate bars
- 2 tablespoons butter
- confectioners' sugar (for dusting)
- In a large shallow bowl whisk together the eggs and milk; set aside.
- Form two sandwiches with the bread and chocolate (break chocolate as necessary to cover bread without extending over edges).
- Dip both sides of sandwiches into egg mixture.
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat; transfer the sandwiches to skillet.
- Cook, pressing occasionally with a spatula, until golden, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate.
- Cut in half, and dust with confectioners sugar before serving.