Recipe by Houdini's Mom
This is by far my FAVORITE way of preparing salmon. I first tried it at McGraths Fish House, then duplicated it at home. You can normally find a cedar plank at your local grocery store in the seafood department.
Top Review by luvthezaar
WOW! This was sooo good! The amount of garlic in the recipe is what got my attention. I have never cooked on a cedar plank before and now I will not cook with out one!! I have tonnes of basil in the garden and it was a REALLY nice change from the standard dill I usually cook with fish. I added a squirt of fresh squeezed lemon juiceto the butter. This is the perfect summer dish so light and refeshing tasting. THANKS FOR THE BEST SALMON RECIPE EVER!!!
- 1 cedar plank
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs salmon
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 6 -7 garlic cloves, minced
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak your cedar plank in water for 20 minutes, flipping over halfway through soak time.
- While the plank is soaking, mix together butter, basil and minced garlic cloves, spread on salmon.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat your grill to low, or the right setting for your grill for fish.
- Take your cedar plank out of the water and place the salmon on top of the plank. Place it on the grill and cook for 20-40 minutes depending on how thick your salmon is.Grill with the lid closed.
- During the cooking time, if the plank catches on fire, spray it with water.
- Salmon is done cooking, when it flakes easily with a fork.
- *Note: Whenever I make this it normally takes around 30-45 minutes to cook on the grill. I constantly check it to make sure the plank doesn't burn & the salmon doesn't over cook.
- Make sure you have water on hand to spray the cedar plank with, so it doesn't catch on fire.