Prep 30 mins
Cook 7 mins
An interesting grilled sandwich.
- 118.29 ml very hot water
- 59.14 ml sun-dried tomato (not packed in oil)
- 170.09 g coarsely grated mozzarella cheese
- 9.85 ml grated lemon zest
- 2.46 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 44.37 ml finely chopped fresh basil leaves
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 8 slice crusty Italian bread (1/4-inch thick)
- 118.29 ml grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the broiler.
- In a small bowl, add the hot water over the tomatoes and let sit for 15 minutes; drain tomatoes and pat dry; finely chop the tomatoes.
- In the same bowl, toss together the tomatoes, mozzarella, lemon zest, basil, and pepper.
- To make the sandwich: brush one side of each slice of bread with the oil.
- Place 4 slices on a work surface, oiled side down.
- Distribute the mozzarella mixture evenly over the 4 slices.
- Place the remaining 4 bread slices on top, oiled side up; press gently to compress the sandwiches.
- Heat a large ovenproof skillet over med-high heat for 2 minutes.
- Put the sandwiches in the skillet in batches if necessary, cover, and cook for 2 minutes or until the undersides are golden brown and the cheese has started to melt.
- Uncover, and turn the sandwiches using a spatula, pressing firmly to flatten them slightly.
- Cook for 1 minute, or until the undersides are golden brown and the cheese has fully melted.
- Sprinkle the parmesan over the tops of the sandwiches and transfer skillet to the broiler.
- Watching carefully, broil until the cheese bubbles and browns lightly (30 seconds to 1 minute); serve immediately.