An interesting grilled sandwich.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup very hot water
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomato (not packed in oil)
- 6 ounces coarsely grated mozzarella cheese
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 slices crusty Italian bread (1/4-inch thick)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1Preheat the broiler.
- 2In a small bowl, add the hot water over the tomatoes and let sit for 15 minutes; drain tomatoes and pat dry; finely chop the tomatoes.
- 3In the same bowl, toss together the tomatoes, mozzarella, lemon zest, basil, and pepper.
- 4To make the sandwich: brush one side of each slice of bread with the oil.
- 5Place 4 slices on a work surface, oiled side down.
- 6Distribute the mozzarella mixture evenly over the 4 slices.
- 7Place the remaining 4 bread slices on top, oiled side up; press gently to compress the sandwiches.
- 8Heat a large ovenproof skillet over med-high heat for 2 minutes.
- 9Put the sandwiches in the skillet in batches if necessary, cover, and cook for 2 minutes or until the undersides are golden brown and the cheese has started to melt.
- 10Uncover, and turn the sandwiches using a spatula, pressing firmly to flatten them slightly.
- 11Cook for 1 minute, or until the undersides are golden brown and the cheese has fully melted.
- 12Sprinkle the parmesan over the tops of the sandwiches and transfer skillet to the broiler.
- 13Watching carefully, broil until the cheese bubbles and browns lightly (30 seconds to 1 minute); serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Caprese
Serving Size: 1 (138 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 359.9
- Calories from Fat 192
- Total Fat 21.3 g
- Saturated Fat 9.0 g
- Cholesterol 44.5 mg
- Sodium 763.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 18.3 g