Recipe by Sharon123
This recipe was gleaned from a winning recipe submitted for the Great Garlic Cook-Off in Gilroy, California, by Joann Donangelo.
- 12 garlic cloves, sliced very thin, plus 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons asian fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons ginger, minced
- 2 teaspoons curry paste
- 6 (6 ounce) salmon fillets
- oil, for frying
- 8 ounces dried rice noodles (mai fun or rice sticks)
- 2⁄3 cup thinly sliced shallot
- flour, for coating
- 2 cups snap peas, halved
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced scallion
- 6 cups baby greens
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare candied garlic:.
- Combine garlic, water, wine, sugar, and butter in a small saucepan and simmer for 10 minutes or until syrupy, but garlic should not be mushy. Remove garlic and cool. Reserve the syrup for the dressing.
- Marinate the salmon:
- Combine fish sauce, lime juice, 1 clove of minced garlic, ginger, and curry paste, mix well. Remove 1/4 cup of the mixture and set aside. Place the remaining mixture in a shallow bowl and add the salmon. Marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- To the reserved marinade, add the reserved syrup from the candied dressing and the remaining clove of minced garlic, whisk well. Set aside.
- Preheat the grill.
- Heat 2" of oil in a large, deep pot to 350*F. Fry rice noodles according to the package directions, a few at a time, draining on paper towels. (They'll look like Styrofoam.) Set aside. Keep oil hot for the next step.
- Coat the thinly sliced shallots with flour, shaking off any excess and fry until golden and crisp. Drain on paper towel and set aside.
- Mix the snap peas, scallions and greens together in a bowl.
- Remove the salmon from the marinade and grill about 5 minutes per side, or to desired doneness.
- Putting it together:.
- Toss greens with dressing and divide among 6 plates. Top each serving with crispy noodles, then top with a serving of salmon. Top each salmon with fried shallots and candied garlic. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Enjoy!