Recipe by Jeff Hixson
I imagine this won't be one of Zaar's most popular recipes. However for the liver and spinach lovers out there, this is fantastic! I got this recipe from the Omaha Steaks Meat cookbook and made only a few changes. I have to admit, I'm submitting this in part because my sister hates liver! She's a new member to Zaar, and even though we're grown, I still like to gross her out occasionally!
For the kabobs
- 1 1⁄2 lbs calf liver, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes (easier to do if partially frozen, you should have about 24 pieces of liver)
- salt and pepper
- 12 slices bacon, cut in half,partially cooked,drain,reserving 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 24 cherry tomatoes
- 2 onions, quartered then cut in half crosswise
- 8 bamboo skewers, soaked in water for at least 10 minutes
For the spinach salad
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1 tablespoon shallots or 1 tablespoon green onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (10 ounce) bag Baby Spinach, cleaned and torn in large pieces
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- For the kabobs- Wrap each piece of liver with a strip of bacon and thread onto skewer, alternating with the tomato and onion pieces.
- Each skewer should have 3 pieces of liver, 2 pieces of onion and 2 cherry tomatoes.
- Grill kabobs over medium high heat for 5 to 6 minutes on each side until the liver is cooked and the bacon and onions begin to brown.
- Keep warm while preparing the salad.
- For the wilted spinach salad- Heat reserved bacon drippings, add the shallots or green onions and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat slightly, and whisk in the mustard, balsamic vinegar and oil.
- Add the spinach, toss with the dressing and heat for 1 to 2 minutes, just until spinach begins to wilt.
- Season with salt and pepper, arrange on serving plates.
- Top each salad with 2 kabobs.
- Serve with crusty garlic bread.